Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday 1 December 2014

Storage Wars

It is that perennial problem.. where the heck am I going to keep all the newly painted stuff. Even with lots of space it gets to be a challenge. While out Xmas shopping yesterday I took a look into the the local Hobbycraft only to find they had a 20% off promotion on . So I took the opportunity to nab some of 4 litre "Really Useful" boxes to start and revamp storage options. The offer still seems to be on for the rest of the week if you join today..

 External Dimensions: 395 x 255 x 88 mm 
Internal Dimensions: 348 x 220 x 68 mm (4 litre capacity)



4 boxes , and a roll of cheap brushes for general abuse sorted - £20 well spent. Roll on next weekend for proper painting


23 comments:

  1. Good find! I am always looking for good storage options at the hardware, craft and dollar stores all the time...my wife calls says I have a plastic storage box OCD....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are also available in the USA. http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/

      Delete
  2. Those Really Useful Boxes are great. I've got loads of them in various sizes.

    If your troops are on magnetic bases or on steel, you can get flexible adhesive sheets (either magnetic or flex-o-metal) which you can stick down in the tray allowing you to use them for transporting the army safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good tips thx...i will have to get some more in the next sales and move the Sudan collection which is troop heavy into these

      Delete
    2. You can get the sheets from various places. OG games does A4 sheets relatively cheap; Magnetic Displays/Coritani do larger sheets of the magnetic, but you'll end up with off-cuts.

      Delete
    3. More good tips.. Cheers Tamsin.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Gary.

      Delete
    2. Something happened! Blogger displayed its innate hostility.
      The RUB range is excellent. Best of all, aside from the quality, is the veriety of sizes which can accommodate 15mm and 28mm (including pike figures) with no useless depth.
      BTW I get the magnetic basing and the steel sheet from Trevor Holland at Coritani/Magnaetic Displays (http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk),if only for the fact that he's a really decent bloke.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, very nice! You can never have enough storage. It's a strange side-effect of the hobby that we start taking an inordinate interest in things like plastic containers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really useful containers; and a very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup , I think so... More will be required!

      Delete
  6. You can never have enough boxes for the shinies Dave!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Ray... And boy is there some shiney to be painted..

      Delete
  7. For a bigger solution, IKEA's ALEX is great
    http://miniatyrmannen.blogspot.se/2012/12/storing-your-minis-ikea-way.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also visited Hobbycraft and have bought no less than 10 7l boxes, Dave, hopefully enough for all of 2015's production! I even bought blue boxes for my Nappy French.

    Have a look at the 7l size- they take quite a bit more than the 4l, and I'm gradually shifting over to them.

    Best, Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, yeah I think it will be a mix of sizes going forward, will take a look at different sizes.

      Delete
  9. Those are very useful Dave, nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good find! I use smaller ones for my 1/72 figures!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a lot of Really Useful boxes, particularly for terrain. Now I have a room for gaming all my figures are in display cabinets which means I get to appreciate them, plus a big help on the motivation front compared to the time I used to just store in home made boxes.

    Those brushes look familiar too - think I bought that set years ago. Great form all sorts of things

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is my kind of xmas shopping.
    I went down the IKEA line but those still look great value.

    ReplyDelete