Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Friday 1 April 2011

Gun Battery completed

I was looking for something quick and easy to do, so I thought a gun battery should do the trick. I was given the this "Elite miniatures" one to get my eye back in. It is only 12 figures and 3 guns so it was done in a couple of nights. The guns were assembled and stuck together with superglue. The barrels were drilled out a bit more. The figures had a mix of early and late uniforms. For a painting guide reference I have a a complete set of original "Rousselot plates" - the definitive guide for French Napoleonic uniforms I believe. The undercoat for the figures and guns was all dark grey (Humbrol 67). The guns are painted in Humbrol 150 which is a good match for French Artillery Green. They are then given a very  thin wash of dark brown prior to adding on the metal paints.They are finished off with a light dry brush of a light earth colour. The end of the barrel is blackened with dry brushing. The figures are pretty straight forward apart from I decided to add extra detail on the sabretache with the company number and wreaths etc.

For the bases which are cut from 1/16th ply some extra work is required to make slots for the gun wheel and trail to sit in. This is created with some blobs of blue tack which are formed and shaped by pushing in the wheels to form ruts. The blue tack is then hardened with a covering of superglue. The base is then covered with PVA wood glue and dipped in my usual sand/cat litter mixture prior to colouring.



No comments:

Post a Comment